Re: [NTLK] (Lord of the Rings) in Newton Book format

From: Stainless Steel Rat (ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 11:27:04 EST

* brian.tiplady_at_astrazeneca.com on Tue, 06 Nov 2001
| Yes, but there are two actions. The first is downloading. If I download an
| ecopy of LOTR and I already own a paper copy of the book, there is no
| difference from taking my own book and scanning it into a computer file.

MicroSparc (Nibble Magazine) v. Amtype Corporation
RIAA v. MyMP3

Amtype would buy a copy of the magazine, type all the programs, and sell
them on disk to people who could prove they bought an issue themselves,
undercutting Nibble's own on disk services.

MyMP3 would rip one copy of a "master" CD and allow you to download copies
of those files if you could prove that you owned an original yourself
(using a checksum signature calculation).

Both Amtype and MyMP3 lost because Copyright applies to each individual
instance of a work individually. If I own the soundtrack CD to "Lola
Rennt" and you own a copy of the same CD, you are not entitled to a copy
made from my CD, and I am not entitled to a copy made from yours.
Likewise, my posession of the scanned and booked works is not allowed
despite the fact that I have owned paperback versions of them for something
like 20 years, now.

That is what Copyright law says.

--
Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net>    \ Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \