Re: [NTLK] RichReader source code

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 05:55:10 EST

> From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd <jbond_at_eskimo.com>
> Subject: [NTLK] RichReader source code
>
> I just happened to stumble across some source code for decoding
> RTF, HTML, and PDF documents (converting to Palm Docs it appears).
>
> http://users.rcn.com/arenamk/RichReader.html
>
> Would it be possible to port this code to the Newton?

it might be possible, though the source files (zipped) are ~2.8M !
and difficult of porting to C depends on globals and other constraints of
Newton C tools.

what I _might_ do (when I've got time) is look at the code to see if the
RichReader format codes are documented/listed. the current PilotDoc plugin
can display RichReader docs but it ignores format codes (since there was no
documentation on what they were); the approach I'd probably use then would
be to map those to HTML tags and display in Newt's Cape. (this would mean
users would still create RichReader docs using desktop tools, but download
those .pdb files and convert from RichReader format to HTML)

if someone else ports the RTF and/or PDF converters to Newton, I'd be glad
to provide a helperApp so when users downloaded .rtf, .pdf files,
the helperApp would recognize the MIME type, then send the VBO to the app,
to be converted and displayed (presumably in NewtWorks).

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com