Re: [NTLK] New Appletalk zone has zapped me

From: David Arnold (arnold_at_dstc.monash.edu.au)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 21:56:58 EST

-->"James" == James Elliott <rootbeeraddict_at_yahoo.com> writes:

>>> I found a thing labelled GatorBox Model 10100 in my garage.
>>> Might you kow what the heck it is?

>> IIRC, the GatorBox used to be some sort of router, I would think
>> between LocalTalk and Ethernet, a bit like the iPrint and the
>> AsanteTalk, but I'm not positively sure about that. Can you
>> describe the ports on the back of the unit?

  James> On the back is an ethernet port (the cable type, I don't
  James> remember the name of it - Thin perhaps?), a D shaped port
  James> with fifteen holes (eight above, seven below) and two Mini
  James> DIN 8 ports. One is labelled Serial, and the other
  James> LocalTalk.

a gatorbox is a localtalk/ethertalk gateway. that is, it converts
appletalk packets in localtalk (including phonenet) format, into
appletalk packets encapsulated in ethernet frames, and back again.
it acts as an appletalk router, so it lets you set zone names, and so
on also.

i have a GatorBox CS here. i use it to bridge from my infrared
appletalk network (which includes the newtons) onto my ethernet
network.

the gatorbox software also includes a MacIP server which is understood
by the NOS2 IP stack. this takes IP packets encapsulated in AppleTalk
packets, strips off the encapsulation, and outputs them as plain IP
packets on the ethernet. and the reverse.

i use this to do wireless (over infrared rather than radio) web
surfing from my newt ...

i have manuals and software for the gatorbox somewhere. there's a mac
config application (GatorKeeper?) that you'll need to configure it
completely, although a serial connection using a terminal emulator
will get the basic functionality working.