Re: [NTLK] New Appletalk zone has zapped me

From: James Elliott (rootbeeraddict_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 18:19:00 EST

Thanks! As it is, I have a 6100 doing that right now. I guess I'll keep
the GatorBox around in case the 6100 kicks the bucket. Did I mention how
much this list rocks?

-James

> >> IIRC, the GatorBox used to be some sort of router, I would think
> >> between LocalTalk and Ethernet, a bit like the iPrint and the
> >> AsanteTalk, but I'm not positively sure about that. Can you
> >> describe the ports on the back of the unit?
>
> James> On the back is an ethernet port (the cable type, I don't
> James> remember the name of it - Thin perhaps?), a D shaped port
> James> with fifteen holes (eight above, seven below) and two Mini
> James> DIN 8 ports. One is labelled Serial, and the other
> James> LocalTalk.
>
>a gatorbox is a localtalk/ethertalk gateway. that is, it converts
>appletalk packets in localtalk (including phonenet) format, into
>appletalk packets encapsulated in ethernet frames, and back again.
>it acts as an appletalk router, so it lets you set zone names, and so
>on also.
>
>i have a GatorBox CS here. i use it to bridge from my infrared
>appletalk network (which includes the newtons) onto my ethernet
>network.
>
>the gatorbox software also includes a MacIP server which is understood
>by the NOS2 IP stack. this takes IP packets encapsulated in AppleTalk
>packets, strips off the encapsulation, and outputs them as plain IP
>packets on the ethernet. and the reverse.
>
>i use this to do wireless (over infrared rather than radio) web
>surfing from my newt ...
>
>i have manuals and software for the gatorbox somewhere. there's a mac
>config application (GatorKeeper?) that you'll need to configure it
>completely, although a serial connection using a terminal emulator
>will get the basic functionality working.

The James Elliott Newton Site
http://www.geocities.com/rootbeeraddict/newton.html
Is that a Newton in your pocket, or are you happy to see me?