Re: [NTLK] New Appletalk zone has zapped me

From: Lou Forlini (lforlini_at_sspi-software.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 23:24:39 EST

On Tue, 2001-11-06 at 18:51, Ken Whitcomb wrote:
> "Chatty AppleTalk device" is a redundancy. Apple decided early on that
> when you opened your Chooser, network devices had to appear within 5
> seconds for UI reasons. Accordingly, since there is no concept of a
> browse master or name server in the peer-to-peer AppleTalk world, every
> AppleTalk device performs a network broadcast of its name and
> capabilities, every 5 seconds or so, to every other machine on its
> Ethernet segment.

    I don't know where you got that information. I have 3 Macs and 2
printers on my Ethernet network, all 3 Macs have AppleTalk turned on.
The only activity that goes across my network is when the machines
first boot up (or printers turn on), when the Chooser is open, or if
one of the machines has file sharing enabled. With file sharing
enabled, then I get a short broadcast every 60 seconds, otherwise
it's dead silent. The Macs are running 7.6.1, 8.6, and occasionally
10.1. Hardly the definition of "chatty".

    Regards,

    - Lou Forlini
      Software Engineer
      System Support Products, Inc.