Re: [NTLK] [OT] Comments on off topic messages of late

From: Lou Forlini (lforlini_at_sspi-software.com)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 00:42:56 EST

At 12:22 AM -0500 11/10/01, SlashDevNull wrote:
> Every message that starts of topic, or begins off topic, simply put a
>'[OT]' somewhere in the subject.

Slash,

    I think a most of us who have been on the list a while pretty much
agreed to try and do this some time ago, but it's a good reminder.

    Some of the problems somewhat unique to this list in particular are:

    a. Some folks download messages to their Newts, so storage and
bandwidth can be limited. I'm not sure if any of the Newt e-mail
apps will filter out a header before they download the message.

    b. We have a rather large international contingent on the list,
many of whom pay for metered Internet access. It can be distressing
to download 100 messages, of which 10 are really on topic, especially
if you are on a modem and you know you are paying by the minute.

    Just some things to think about.

    Regards,

    - Lou Forlini
      Software Engineer