Re: [NTLK] [OT] Comments on off topic messages of late

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 08:10:07 EST

on 11/10/01 6:42 AM, Lou Forlini at lforlini_at_sspi-software.com wrote:

> b. We have a rather large international contingent on the list,
> many of whom pay for metered Internet access. It can be distressing
> to download 100 messages, of which 10 are really on topic, especially
> if you are on a modem and you know you are paying by the minute.

As one of those who pays by the minute, I'd like to comment on this. :-)
Even if there were 100 messages on NewtonTalk, I would guess that maybe five
or ten of those would, in a normal day, be of interest to me. In spite of
that, I still subscribe to NewtonTalk, as much as for the community and the
overall information and knowledge I gain (trivia I learn??) as for the
assistance and advice I get (or give--which doesn't amount to a half of a
hill of beans, I'm sure). I have found that, when I'm not on the list, my
Newton somehow gets less used and lonely (strictly business). Yet, when I'm
on the list, I'm downloading new toys and stuff every week, as well as
seeing and learning new ways to do things. Oh, and my Newton is happier, I
am sure. Therefore, I find that the list, and even the hot air (except for
the insults and degrading comments that always seem to fly towards the end
of the more divisive issues) is worth the money I spend on the phone calls.
:-) Since some of the most helpful and vocal members also live in countries
where they probably pay for "on-air" time, I would assume that the same is
true for them. ????

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland