Re: [NTLK] Newton Programming and the GPL

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 11:03:46 EST

> From: Eckhart Koeppen <eck1000_at_gmx.net>
>
> now for something really interesting ;) -

actually this is quite apropos. I plan to distribute the source for newtVNC,
when it's closer to "done", but have also hesitated due to the fact that not
all parts (like underlying tools, and other libraries) are GPL).

the original C and Java VNC distributions are GPL.
my Waba version was probably a derivative work since it bore a strong
resemblance to the Java version.

but newtVNC doesn't use any of their C or Java code, so maybe it doesn't
have to be distributed GPL?
it's been completely rewritten in NewtonScript, with some new parts in C
(from Paul) -- and the control flow is entirely different due to NS lack of
threads and synchronous communication model. so, I'm wondering whether I
still need to distribute under GPL (with appropriate disclaimers about
non-GPL pieces), or can use something less restrictive (e.g., BSD). I read
thru the MacSlash articles and opinions seem to fall somewhere between it's
not a problem, or it might be a problem (but no one will care/sue you).
  http://www.macslash.com/article.pl?sid=01/10/04/1333218&mode=thread

--
Steve