Re: [NTLK] [OT] Checking in / iPod Comments... SORRY

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 10:16:50 EST

on 11/13/01 10:32 AM, R Pickett at emerson_at_hayseed.net wrote:

> Look especially at the "Principle of Least Surprise" and "Principle of
> Least Damage" sections. "Principle of Least Work" probably also applies;

For me, surprising would be a reply to the original poster, the least damage
would be to automatically reply to the list, and absolutely, the least work
is being able to reply to the list without having to delete the original
replyto address, and insert the list address. Why do you think that people
want to reply to the original sender automatically? For one, I would prefer
that people replying to my posts on NewtonTalk not CC me privately. Once, on
the list is enough, and is under the control of my mailing list manager. A
private reply gets dumped in my in tray, adding to the unmanageable clutter
that already exists there. If IIRC, this was discussed ages ago, when the
list first went to PlanetNewton, and the overwhelming majority decided to
have reply-tos go to the list, and not to individuals.

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry