Re: [NTLK] [OT] reply-to

From: Steven M. Scotten (splicer_at_paroxysm.com)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 19:04:11 EST

On 13 Nov 2001 15:18:57 -0800, R Pickett wrote:

>On Tue, 2001-11-13 at 14:29, Steven M. Scotten wrote:
>> "reply-all" means reply to everyone. "reply" means reply to the sender.
>> On a discussion list, the sender is the list, and that's how it should
>> be.
>
>Sender, in SMTP-speak, is the person who initiated the message
>-transfer-, not the author. Reply should -never- go to Sender. Reply
>should go to Reply-To, or From, in that order.

I wrote imprecisely and I apologize. I don't see how your clarification
changes my assertion.

If you've read RFC 822 as you indicated, you know that setting Reply-To
to a mailing list is one of the suggested uses for the Reply-To header
field. (sec 4.4.3)

So this is not a matter of compliance with standards, but of the
personal preference of the listadmin and subscribers. A matter of
opinion. I do see your point and respect your opinion in this matter,
but as a practical matter I disagree. If the listadmin decides to do it
your way, that's OK, but I would hope that the wishes of the majority
would be polled on the matter before a change is made.

Steve