[NTLK] Farallon driver problem with 3c589D

From: Steven M. Scotten (splicer_at_paroxysm.com)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 02:41:02 EST

OK, I checked the list archives and Google first and came up blank....
actually, I found others that had this problem, but strangely no
solutions.

I picked up a used 3c589D card for Newt today and brought it home all
excited to get Newt on the 'Net. I still am excited to do so, actually!

I read on the FAQ at Newton Cage that I would need to first install the
Farallon driver and then the 3Com patch. So I did that with NCU and
promptly received the message:

"Error! Unable to activate Farallon Ethernet since Newton Device
Drivers are not in the system"

Hmmmmm.... so I went looking and found this other package from NIE that
I hadn't installed, called "NIE Ethernet." It made sense that I should
have this package installed first, so I removed the Farallon package,
reset Newt with the reset button, and installed NIE Ethernet. Note that
I've had Newt connecting via a modem before, so the rest of NIE is
already installed. I then installed the Farallon Ethernet package and
once again promptly received the error message"

"Error! Unable to activate Farallon Ethernet since Newton Device
Drivers are not in the system"

Hmmm, again. This is odd. I did a Google Groups (formerly Deja) search
and found that other people have received this message, but that the
only advice given was to "install the device drivers" which ... is ...
exactly ... what I thought I was doing when I got the message.
Confusing.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm perplexed.

Thanks,

Steve