Re: [NTLK] Newton MP3 player

From: Eckhart Koeppen (eck1000_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 17:10:30 EST

Daniel Stacey wrote:

> I really want an mp3 player for my newton that you can put an mp3 file onto
> the newton memory or memory card and then play it back. Basicly the same as
> ModPlayer but for Mp3s instead. Is there anything that can do this???

Do I sense iPod envy ;)? Yes, the Newton will be able to play MP3s in
the not-so-distant future. It has the capabilties (CPU-wise and
storage-wise with Paul's ATA driver) and I'm making good progress with
MAD Newton (the MP3 decoder). I just rushed out a new version which lays
out the basic programming API (it still has problems, I think the
throttle code throttels too well... thanks, Grant!). You will however be
limited to 22khz, 16 bit mono. Not too much you can do about that
besides buying an expensive PCMCIA sound card and writing a driver for
that ;)

Eckhart

--
                   -- eck_at_40hz.org -- www.40hz.org --