Re: [NTLK] What programs do you have in your button bar?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 16:04:57 EST

Ha! That's funny...this coming from a Mac user who is
using an OS (OS X) that has the most confusing CLI
ever developed! (Unix)
Yes though...obscure commands were the norm (to those
uninitiated few) Personally, my own DOS experience was
such that I created custom Batch files that allowed me
to perform tasks quickly and easily by a 2-3 letter
command. When I used Macs, I used QuickKeys the same
way. On the Windows world, I use Perfect Keyboard.
When I want to log into a server on the farm (all the
admin passwords are the same) I issue a quick 2 letter
command and Perfect Keyboard does the rest. (never
have to memorize a password)
Which is easier, removing your hands from the
keyboard, grabbing the mouse, manouevering to the task
menu, cycling to the correct sub menu, selecting the
next sub-sub menu, then clicking on the application?
or writing "PS" in the launcher?
As for "show-off" capabilities, I think it doubles the
"wow" feature. I tell people that the Newton is so
customizable, that it can be adapted to all manners of
thought processes no matter how you work, the Newton
will adapt to you, not the other way around!
I honestly believe that a "Personal" device should be
unobtrusive and require no special handling in order
for it to assist you. Seamless and invisable is the
order of the day. If I gotta think about how to use
the device, then my original thought that I was
thinking (the reason I was going to pick up the PDA in
the first place) can be supplanted by the thought
process in how to actually use the device. A good
analogy is you don't have to think about breathing in
order to allow your self to live. It's automatic, yet
you can control it to an extent!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Laurent Daudelin <laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com>
wrote:
<snip>
> Having to write some abbreviation to launch an
> application reminds me of the
> old DOS days, where you had to type some obscured
> commands to have things
> done!!!
>
> -Laurent.
> --