Re: [NTLK] Stopwatch or timer app for Newton?

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 01:45:59 EST

on 18/11/01 19:55, Grant [Irradiated] Hutchinson at grant_at_splorp.com wrote:

> In a previous message, Darl Singh typed vigorously:
>
>> "StopWatch v1.01" by Starlight Computer: package _should_ attach ok :-)
>> This does 1/100 sec happily.
>> Lemme know if it doesn't come thru OK and I'll try zipping or similar...
>
> Excellent. Just what I was looking for.
>
> I also located the Starlight web site, and they have a version 1.2 of the
> package for 2.x Newtons as well as a 2.0 beta which features multiple
> split times and data exporting features.
>
> http://mew3.com/scw/newton/sw.html
>
> Thanks for the original pointer. That helps a bunch.

Just wondering a bit. What is the use of a stopwatch that goes down to 1/100
of a second? I mean, unless your Newt is plugged to some detection device,
you'll have to tap the screen with your pen to start/stop the timer. By the
time your pen tip touches the screen, there might have been 200 or 300
100ths of a second that passed. I guess my real question is what's the point
to get such a precise timer when the mode in which you start and stop it is
so imprecise?

-Laurent.

code police n.: [by analogy with George Orwell's `thought police'] A mythical team of Gestapo-like storm troopers that might burst into one's office and arrest one for violating programming style rules. May be used either seriously, to underline a claim that a particular style violation is dangerous, or ironically, to suggest that the practice under discussion is condemned mainly by anal-retentive weenies. "Dike out that goto or the code police will get you!" The ironic usage is perhaps more common.