Re: [NTLK] English dictionary with phonetic spelling / phonetic keyboard add-on? / teach German MP English

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 15:10:12 EST

on 19-11-2001 6:46, Markus Rasch at m.rasch_at_gmx.net wrote:

> DictMgr 1.1b6-en, Dictionary Manager to disable system dictionaries and handle
> several user dictionaries.
>
> But I would prefer an additional installed dictionary, not to disable the
> internal. So that my german MP will understand german AND english.

My Newt is mostly used in Dutch and English, since the printing HWR was
always better at foreign languages always used that and adapted my writing
just a little (used to only connect the last two letters of a word in
general, wasn't that hard to change)

Than Paul's alt..rec came along (personally I think it's a terrible name for
a great piece of software ;-) and suddenly I could fine tune things a bit
and recognition became better in Dutch.

Next Jeroen Goulooze and Paul created DictNL and together with DictMngr it's
now almost flawless in both languages.

All I did in DictMngr was uncheck the checkbox in "commons (attributed)
(forward)" and that did the job.

Never understood how and why but somehow it's now really good at both
English and Dutch, though it ads English words to the "Recently Written
Words" list (nice Winnie the Poeh touch BTW, all these capitals ;-)

So though I disabled the internal (English) word list, at least that's what
it looks like to me,
(Paul might have another opinion about this altogether ;-)

So either it would probably work like this right away or you might have to
check and uncheck the "commons (attributed) (forward)" when you switch
languages, I'm pretty sure that somebody might be able to make a little
script out of that too, if the need arises.

BTW, if a word list to create your DictEN wouldn't be handy, my guess would
be that you would eventually build your own word list using the "Recently
Written Words", not sure about this though, Paul....?

Robert Benschop