Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V1 #354

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 10:38:22 EST

> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 07:21:24 +0100
> From: Paul Guyot <pguyot_at_kallisys.net>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] English dictionary with phonetic spelling / phonetic
>

>>From: Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net>
>>
>>I guess what would have to be done is to build a "DictEN" and then use
>>DictMgr to use it...
>
> DictMgr is not here to let you use custom package dictionaries (such
> as DictNL, BR, EE, DK, FR, IT). These packages don't need anything to
> be used.

IIGYC this means you can just take the casual dict. pkg. from a US Newt,
send it to somebody, and he can just install it the usual way...

>>From: oliver.brose_at_t-online.de (Oliver Brose)
>>
>>Maybe Paul could say something about this... it would make more sense *to
>>me* if one could use the dictionarys side by side, but switching them would
>>be tolerable as well, if it does not mean much hassle.
>
> It's the default behavior. If you have a German MP and you install
> the Italian dictionary, then your Newton will recognize both German
> and Italian words.

...seems to be that way. Just pop in the US dict. into the German Newt, and
it will recognize both, not extras/switching needed. Yes?

Fear: How big would a standard US dict. pkg. be? 300k? 1MB? 2MB? That would
mean a lot to kick out of the internals...

>>From: "Markus Rasch" <m.rasch_at_gmx.net>
>>
>>Maybe it's possible to copy the internal worlist of an english MP
>>and make a DictEN out of it!
>
> It's totally possible. Normally, if you ask the NewtonOS to export
> the data of a ROM dictionary, it will throw you away. But with the
> docs I've written, you can, for example using Hammer, export any
> dictionary data directly in binary form and then include it in a
> package.

Nice!

I guess many non-US Newties are starving for an English dict., and would
highly praise US donors... *smile* could anyone do this?

Paul, thank you very much for your detailed answer! :)

Regards,

Oliver :)

--
Darn you Apple!  How could you make such a device as to cause heads to
turn 3 years after you discontinued it!