Re: [NTLK] Bad *pen* recognition

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 11:11:52 EST

On 11/20/01 9:33 AM, "Bryan Todd Oakley" <oakertood_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's my first time posting, so please be kind with any faux pas.
>
> I just got a 2000>2100 on eBay. I rec'd it in pretty good condition. I was
> upgrading from a 110,
> so it was amazing! But now I can't seem to get the alignment or something to
> related to work.
> Sometimes, the alignment is *way* off and sometimes the handwriting
> represented on the screen is
> totally whacked. It draws straight lines backwards and sometimes, even though
> I am writing
> "correctly" it overwrites the previous letters with the new ones. Needless to
> say, It seems almost
> unbearable.
>
> Side Question: Are there any *NEW*, still-in-the-box MP2100's out there?

It seems that your MP2000 is exhibiting what we called "the jaggies", which
is a known problem for MP2x00. The cause however is not that clear or
obvious. Some people reported that the problem is caused by a system info
(soup) corruption. Deleting the system soup did fix the problem for some.
That could be particularly true in your case if you got this used MP2000 and
didn't do a "hard reset". Check the FAQ if you want to know what a "hard
reset" is. You need to know that if you do that, you will loose most of your
preferences, including your handwriting preferences a also probably a lot of
registration for any 3rd party applications you bought.

For other people, this was caused by an non-uniformed pressure applied on
the touch screen, sometimes cause by some grits that are lodged underneath
the case, around the touch screen. The theory goes that even the smallest
piece of dirt can cause a pressure on the touch screen so that if you move
your pen in that area, the touch screen doesn't track the pressure very
well.

Finally, for most other users, the problem was caused by a worn-out touch
screen. Some have been able to open up their MP2x00 to "clean" some
electrical contacts between the touch screen and what I believe to be the
glass, or maybe it was the LCD, I'm not sure. Anyway, that kind of work is
not possible by most users so the rest of us just ended up by returning the
unit to Apple for repair. They will charge around $180 to repair everything
that is wrong with your unit. So, if you're missing some back clips to hold
the screen protector on the back, or if you have some rubber feet that came
out, or if your screen is scratched, or if your interconnect port door is
broken, you can have all those things repaired for a single flat fee of $180
plus shipping. Details to setup the repair are in the FAQ, I would believe,
at <http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/>.

Good luck!

-Laurent.

bug-compatible adj.: [common] Said of a design or revision that has been
badly compromised by a requirement to be compatible with fossils or
misfeatures in other programs or (esp.) previous releases of itself. "MS-DOS
2.0 used \ as apath separator to be bug-compatible with some cretin's choice
of / as an option character in 1.0."