Re: [NTLK] Hello from a new Subscriber

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 10:20:49 EST

On 11/21/01 5:35 AM, "davesnewton_at_optusnet.com.au"
<davesnewton_at_optusnet.com.au> wrote:
[snip!]
> Lastly, are there any others out there like me that seem to be drawn to
> doomed systems=3F You see, my MAIN desktop OS is the BeOS. I'd love to
> be able to link up my Newt with Be, but sadly, I think I'm dreaming.

AFAIK, there have been successful connections only to Macintosh, Windozzz PC
and Linux, using UnixNPI. I've never heard or read from anybody running BeOS
that they were able to make any connection to the Newton. Not that it's
impossible, it's just that the Newton talks a very specific protocol, so
that if you don't know the protocol (have file libraries which contain
executable code), then you won't be able to talk much to it... Those
libraries haven't been ported to any platform, so far. Connections work
under MacOS and Windozz because Apple provided the libraries for these
platforms. UnixNPI does offer a limited set of functionalities, if I'm not
mistaken, but I don't know what they are. You definitely cannot do whatever
you can with NCU when using UnixNPI...

-Laurent.

brain dump n.: [common] The act of telling someone everything one knows
about a particular topic or project. Typically used when someone is going to
let a new party maintain a piece of code. Conceptually analogous to an
operating system core dump in that it saves a lot of useful state before an
exit. "You'll have to give me a brain dump on FOOBAR before you start your
new job at HackerCorp." See core dump (sense 4). At Sun, this is also known
as `TOI' (transfer of information).