Re: [NTLK] Hoarding Newtons...

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 10:24:22 EST

On 11/19/01 7:58 AM, "Scott C. Gregory" <scgregory_at_bigpond.com> wrote:

> Loren Finkelstein wrote:
>>
>> IMHO, it would be better if every die-hard newton user had access to spare
>> parts, or a spare newton for when theirs eventually dies, rather than a lot
>> of new people getting Newton's when they could get Palms or PocketPC's and
>> never know what they missed out on.
>>
>> Selfish? Maybe. But I think it makes more sense.
>
> I resent that! I am a Newton OMP owner, and wish to get myself a 2100
> or a 2000U.
> So what you are saying is, I should toss it out and go buy a Palm, just
> so you can keep all 10 Newton's to yourself. Riiight. I don't
> thinkso. Because of people like you, it is darn near impossible to get
> a 2100. And even then it won't have anything (including a charger or
> bat back) with it.. Not only that, the prices are going way way up.

I don't think the prices are going up. Actually, they've been going down.
I've paid $999 plus tax for my 2100 in November 1997. Then, in 2000, I've
found one of the cheapest 2000 on eBay, after lurking for some time. I've
paid then $400 for a non-upgraded 2000, after which I spent $140 to get it
upgraded to a 2100. That's $540, but a lot less than $999. Recently, I've
seen bare 2000 going for as little as $250 on eBay...

-Laurent.

Borg n.: In "Star Trek: The Next Generation" the Borg is a species of cyborg
that ruthlessly seeks to incorporate all sentient life into itself; their
slogan is "You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile." In hacker
parlance, the Borg is usually Microsoft, which is thought to be trying just
as ruthlessly to assimilate all computers and the entire Internet to itself
(there is a widely circulated image of Bill Gates as a Borg). Being forced
to use Windows or NT is often referred to as being "Borged". Interestingly,
the Halloween Documents reveal that this jargon is live within Microsoft
itself. (Other companies, notably Intel and UUNet, have also occasionally
been equated to the Borg.) See also Evil Empire, Internet Exploiter.