Re: [NTLK] Offline electronic newspaper functionality requested

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Thu Nov 22 2001 - 11:23:10 EST

> From: Steven Scotten <splicer_at_paroxysm.com>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Offline electronic newspaper functionality requested

> Am I correct that there is only one possible schedule setting for all items?
> For instance, I can't tell one page to download once a day with a link depth
> of zero and another to download once a week with a link depth of three? It
> seems that A) when I set one, the "alarm bell " icon for the others disappears
> and that B) when I reopen one of the others, they now have the settings set
> for the one I've just now set.

as I recall, you can schedule only one set of items per folder,
and since a bookmark or URL is only in one folder...
(though you might try scheduling it one way as a bookmark,
and one way from cache)

>> What made my ears perk up here was: Newtscape will create standalone books
>> of these pages? How do I get it to do that? That's amazing! I want it!
>>
>> Are you serious????? NewtsCape will actually download the content and make
>> standalone books each and every day without my intervention?

> From: Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net>

>The plugin you're looking for to create packages
> is NewtPack. I don't think you can schedule package creation, though - I
> wish it was there too.

you can do batch book create once the pages have been saved though.

http://members.home.net/saweyer/newton/newtscape/docs/userintf.htm#CacheProc
ess

" popup appears with subset of regular Process options: Save as Package,
Save to NewtWorks;
    notes: items must already be present, i.e., cached;
    status line displays number of remaining items;
    Save as Package automatically replaces (i.e., w/o confirmation) any
package with same ISBN;
    there are some intentional delays because of the way saving is
implemented;
    this batch Process is an experimental feature: if it's too buggy
    or inadequate, I may remove rather than try to fix
"

I shudder to think about trying to create books during actual schedule and
connection -- it might work (sometimes), but there are so many things that
could go wrong (without some major redesign)....

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com