Re: [NTLK] Newton emulator

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 23 2001 - 13:48:10 EST

But what's the point? The Palm and pocket PC platforms
are so severly underpowered that running newton apps
on these machines through an emulator would cause the
device to take on properties of a frisbee (flying
disk) In otherwords, it would be so frustrating that
you would throw the cheap device across the room!
Only recently have the so called "modern" devices
reached a processor speed close to an unmodified
Newton (and none have yet to reach the speed of a Pix
Solutions upgraded Newton)
Sean Luke did some speed tests with the WABA system
and found that the MP2K was (can't remember the
correct number) was it 10 or 100 times faster than the
fastest Palm! And that was with the Newton being
hobbled by the pathetically slow screen draw that the
Newton is stuck with...(uh, is that newton-draw or
something like that?)
I find the size of the Newton MP2K to be just right!
(I thought that the 120/130s were too small)
especially during meetings when my fellow PDA users
whip out their "modern" devices, pop up the on-screen
keyboards and use their pens to tap out their
words...pathetic! They then see me writing directly on
the screen and their "colour" immediatly becomes
green! With envy!
Besides, I like seeing more than two to-dos in one
screen!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Steve Weyer <weyer_at_kagi.com> wrote:

> > From: stevetaylor_at_cantv.net
> >
> > Is there a newton emulator for the palm or pocket
> PC, because I've heard such
> > good things about newtons and there software but
> there just to big so wouldn't
> > it be great if you could run newton software on
> modern day hardware. I don't
> > really like palm and pocket PC's aren't mac
> compatible but I'd buy a palm if i
> > could run newton OS on it.
>
> another strategy is to develop new apps for the
> Newton in Waba -- then
> they're portable to Palm, Pocket PC, and any
> platform that supports Waba or
> Java. the apps unfortunately have a generic feel;
> the flip side is you can
> add more Newton-specific controls and features, but
> then they wouldn't run
> as is on other platforms...
>
> --
> Steve