Re: [NTLK] Newton Backup to OSX without Classic ?

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 15:58:21 EST

BK:

>Yup, I have got an old Performa 5200 for that, but this
>is only a short term interim solution.
>
>For one, I live in Japan and space is all important here,
>I'd rather like to sell the Performa sooner than later
>freeing up valuable space in my place.

Understand. I can empathize with you as I live in Japan as well. Where
do you reside? I live East of Tokyo near Atsugi-shi.

Heck, use your 5200 for a table to hold your printer. ;-)

In my 6 tatami room, I've a TAM, 2 iMacs, 840av, and PB170 networked.
Also have a Laser Printer, and 3 ink jet printers.

So yes, it does get crowded at times. Right now I am down to the TAM and
one iMac. Much more room!

>On the other hand, I am a consultant working all over the
>planet. I prefer to travel as light as possible. The iBook,
>the Newton, my Canon IXY camera, a GSM phone, a CDMA phone
>and a Japanese mobile plus all the power supplies/chargers
>for those is just about as much as I can tolerate. I
>certainly wouldn't want to carry another PowerBook around.

In your case, while you don't want to, it sounds like you might want to
consider booting your iBook directly into System 9.0 to backup your Newt
once per day, or when you need to back up your files. At least it would
save you carrying another computer!

Which IXY camera do you have? I just got the 200. Love it!

>Kingston makes those, but their drivers don't support
>all kind of data - its mainly intended for printers
>and not even any printer is supported.

Ah grasshopper, you assume too much! :-)

I was not talking about the Kingston USB to Serial adapter.

As I mentioned in my message, I was discussing a serial port adapter that
you can add for about $50. It goes in place of your modem card.

Check you this web site:

http://www.geethree.com/p_stealth.html

BTW, I've got the Kingston USB to Serial adapter that you mention. Don't
use it. Got my Laser Printer going through my TAM using LaserWriter
Bridge software so I can print over the network to my Laserwriter printer.

>A year ago a friend of mine tried to hook his MP130 up to
>an iMac using the Kingston serial USB adaptor and he
>couldn't get it to work.

I got my Palm Pilot to sync fine. I had to load some software patches.
I would really have to dig to remember which ones -- it's been about 6
months since I've done that. One thing that I do remember, is that you
need to have the latest firmware updates for the USB to work right with
the adapter. And you need the latest software drivers from Kingston.
The ones that came on my disk did not work.

>Besides, the iMac has Ethernet built-in and its not the
>physical connection which is the problem, not even the
>transport. It's simply the inability of the application
>layer to use the perfectly suited and universally available
>transport: ftp.

Who knows, that my change in the future.

>There should be some way to get the data out of the Newton
>by ftp and restore it back by ftp. Can't be that difficult.
>What's the problem? How big a deal would it be to write
>a NewtonScript that collects all those soups and hand them
>over to the ftp layer? Likewise to write another one that
>can take a downloaded soup from the ftp layer and store it
>wherever it belongs? Not that I have any experience in
>NewtonScript, but honestly, how much effort could this
>possibly be if the transport layer is already there?

No idea here.

Hopefully someday, I will have a better idea as I am just starting to
look at programming on the Newt. All new to me at this time.

Sushi