Re: [NTLK] I'm Back!!

From: Markus Rasch (m.rasch_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 15:56:53 EST

First of all, welcome back!

And this time I won't miss ordering a SER-001, too!

> While we're on the subject of new designs, what do you think about adding
> the ability to use the second serial port? Perhaps the port could be made
> software selectable (I'd be thrilled to lend my own programming skills to
> such a project, though it would take some getting up to speed on low level
> Newton development =). I expect that if it were possible at all, getting
> NewtOS to talk to the keyboard over the second port would require some
> serious hacking- does anyone have experience/info on this?

Indeed, this would be perfect. Maybe the secondary port is wired to the same connector,
but I don't know the pinout of this connector. But as far as I know the secondary port has
no line-driver chip (I think it was the LTC1323), so this must be added on the SER-001
board. I once saw a schematic of how to use a secondary serial port trough the NIC
somewhere in the Net, but I can't remember where.

A short pice of software to enable the secondary port will be needed, too. But I think
this would be the smallest problem (I hope).

Markus