Re: [NTLK] I'm Back!!

From: Gerstein, Sam (Sam.Gerstein_at_StreamServe.com)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 14:38:51 EST

David Humphreys wrote:
> I am also experimenting with a method of changing the clock
> speed, on the fly, to facilitate serial comms. Basically,
> the clock will automatically switch to 'normal' speed for
> the duration of the comms, then revert back to 'turbo' without
> user intervention. The details have yet to be worked out.
>
> Unfortunately, this would mean removing the crystal from the
> main logic board and soldering wires to various points.
> Piece of cake for Dr. Newton etc. but a problem for the
> average user.
>
> I really like the idea of making just one board. So, perhaps
> I could make an SER-001 with the additional circuitry not populated.
> It would work just as all the others out there. Or I could
> populate fully and call it an SER-001+.
>
> Please, let me know what you think.

Glad you're back-
I think what you describe above sounds great! If you can manufacture just
one board and selectively populate it, that seems ideal- but I'm not totally
clear on what you're proposing to include. Would this be the equivalent of
a pixsolution accelerator integrated into the SER-001, or just the switching
circuitry to ask the accelerator to slow down as necessary?
While we're on the subject of new designs, what do you think about adding
the ability to use the second serial port? Perhaps the port could be made
software selectable (I'd be thrilled to lend my own programming skills to
such a project, though it would take some getting up to speed on low level
Newton development =). I expect that if it were possible at all, getting
NewtOS to talk to the keyboard over the second port would require some
serious hacking- does anyone have experience/info on this? My thinking is
that it'd be really cool to be able to use the Newton as a serial terminal,
with keyboard and all.
BTW, is the pinout for the modem header publicly available anywhere?
-Sam