Re: [NTLK] Newton Dreams

From: Eckhart Koeppen (eck1000_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 17:12:44 EST

Oliver Brose wrote:

>>Subject: Re: [NTLK] Newton Dreams
>>Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 05:32:43 +0900
>>From: Sushi <Sushi_at_ragingbull.com>
>>
>>Today, I saw an iPod up close and personal and played with it for quite a
>>while.
>>
>>Observations:
>>- Great sound

Only if you do not take the decoder issue in account. The iPod generates
a constant whine at 2.8 or 5.6khz (not everybody notices it though),
audible at high volume levels. This is a decoder problem and not an
electrical issue since it does not happen with AIFF playback.

> I could not get my hands on one yet, I don't even know if they are already
> released in Germany.
> I want one, but it has to be *loud*, *very loud*, as I don't use
> noise-shaping headphones.
> Did you test that? How loud does it go?

Pretty loud. That would be a notch below *very loud* ... it doesn't go
to 11, but definitely to 10 ;) When apple fixes the decoder problem,
it's a really nice product. Just forget about the headphones that come
with it and get a pair of Sennheiser MX 500's. They are awesome (and cheap!)

Eckhart

--
                   -- eck_at_40hz.org -- www.40hz.org --