Re: [NTLK] IMAP at last!

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 04:10:06 EST

On Tuesday, November 27, 2001, at 04:55 , Jon Glass wrote:

> on 11/27/01 3:21 AM, Jeremy Bond Shepherd at jbond_at_eskimo.com wrote:
>
>> So... I love seeing progress on the Newton e-mail front, but am
>> a bit in the dark about what's "so darn exciting" about this
>> implimentation of IMAP. Am I missing something here?
>
> I would assume that, if you only had an IMAP account, you were cut off
> via
> the Newton before. Now, at least, you can download and read your
> email. I
> would imagine that for those people, the minimal features would suffice
> at
> present...

In one respect IMAP is of course in principle interesting for mobile
devices, because it promises to take care of the often painful
synchronisation of mailboxes.

However, in my experience the required bandwidth poses a serious
obstacle for those very same mobile devices that this feature is most
promising to. I have used IMAP on notebooks while in a hotel room ($$$)
on a 28kbps modem connection and it cost me about 10 times as much as
when I had used POP instead.

It can be very annoying if you just want to send this short note and
your email client does all this IMAP mailbox synching all the time. Of
course if you get an IMAP client that allows you to turn off those
things ...

I guess if you get your Newton to work with a WiFi card (using Noguchi's
WaveLan driver) and you are in a hotel or coffee shop that provides free
or at least cheap wireless internet access, then, IMAP on the Newton
could be nice to have. However, with a modem connection, especially if
it costs you by the minute, I wouldn't want to use IMAP. In fact I
wouldn't want to use POP without a POP list manager that allows me to
peek at what messages are there first and then only download what I want
at that time.

Oh, and don't forget to tell your Newton's IMAP client not to download
that 5MB MP3 attachment you have sitting in your "sent messages" mailbox
on any of the desktops you've used to send email recently using IMAP ;-)

rgds
BK