Re: [NTLK] [OT]Newton Dreams

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 13:50:18 EST

On Thursday, November 29, 2001, at 03:01 , Eckhart Koeppen wrote:

> BK wrote:
>
>> So now, I use 96, high for modern and 112, highest for classical, but
>> always with VBR.
>

> Thanks for the information, I was always a bit too lazy to play around
> with different enconding levels... and there are some songs in my
> library that somehow do suffer from a fixed 128 encoding, so VBR should
> help.

You're welcome.

> Too bad that the iPod has some problems handling VBR files. It seems
> that it gets confused about the length of the songs and cuts them off
> before they end. I haven't tried that myself, but it's being discussed
> on Apple's support pages.

Although my wish list seems to be always ahead of what current
technology is up to, I am very careful when I buy something new. I
usually do not buy Version 1.00 products but instead wait until they
have proven to have reached some level of maturity and if I do buy a
Version 1.00 product then only under extraordinary circumstances, i.e.
at a bargain price or notebook just died while abroad, need replacement
to complete a job and no other model available etc etc.

With this policy I have mostly done well and I would recommend it even
though I realise that if we all do it then there is nobody to jump on a
new piece of technology and a lovely design like the G3 Cube for example
may turn into a flop even though it didn't deserve to.

Anyway, if you were to follow that method then you'd wait until iPod
Version 1.1 is released. The chance is that it won't whine and will
handle VBR just fine and whatever other glitches it might have right now
may be fixed too. Further it is likely to be cheaper then because you
always pay for the privilege to be first.

I have been waiting for an MP3 player like the iPod to become available
for a number of years now and refrained from spending any money on the
experimental ones that have been around so far - heck I can wait another
3 or 6 months, that won't make such a big difference anymore.

Also, the joy of looking forward to something is part of the fun and it
increases the excitement when you finally get what you longed for ;-)

rgds
BK