Re: [NTLK] Potential for large number of bounced messages?

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 14:51:43 EST

On Thursday, November 29, 2001, at 04:26 , Eric L. Strobel wrote:

> And exactly how would us @Home cable modem users get at Yahoo to use the
> free e-mail??? That's at least as big an issue as anything else. It's
> not
> just losing the e-mail addy (though, thinking about figuring out just
> who
> all I'd need to notify of any permanent change is making my head spin),
> but
> potentially a complete loss of Internet access.

I see. Sorry, I didn't realise that @home was a cable service.

I assume there is no other cable provider you can switch to easily
without moving house. That's tough luck. What about DSL/ADSL ?

However, as far as the email address change dilemma is concerned, I'd
recommend that if you really get cut off and have to find yourself
another provider, never again use the email address provided by your
last mile provider. Always use an alias service or get yourself a domain
and host it on your own box.

I had cable before and now I am on ADSL, I run my own email server on my
OSX box and even though I occassionally get a different IP address, I
signed up with a service called DynDNS (www.dyndns.org) who run a
dynamic DNS service and always point to whatever your IP address is
using a small client on your machine that notifies their servers in the
event that the IP address changes. This is a free service, but if you
want your own domain, then you can make a one time donation of 30 USD,
which is very reasonable.

If you are on cable or xDSL this is highly recommendable, you run your
own domain and you can take it with you whatever happens, nobody will
ever notice if you change providers whatever the reason.

rgds
BK