Re: [NTLK] Potential for large number of bounced messages?

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 15:02:10 EST

at the temporal coordinates: 11/28/01 2:51 PM, the entity known as BK at
bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com conveyed the following:

> On Thursday, November 29, 2001, at 04:26 , Eric L. Strobel wrote:
>
>> And exactly how would us @Home cable modem users get at Yahoo to use the
>> free e-mail??? That's at least as big an issue as anything else. It's
>> not
>> just losing the e-mail addy (though, thinking about figuring out just
>> who
>> all I'd need to notify of any permanent change is making my head spin),
>> but
>> potentially a complete loss of Internet access.
>
> I see. Sorry, I didn't realise that @home was a cable service.
>
> I assume there is no other cable provider you can switch to easily
> without moving house. That's tough luck. What about DSL/ADSL ?

Nope. Cable, perhaps even more so than local phones and electric utilities,
is a monopoly. I'm not sure if I can get DSL where I live, and besides, how
long does it take to get an account for that?

> However, as far as the email address change dilemma is concerned, I'd
> recommend that if you really get cut off and have to find yourself
> another provider, never again use the email address provided by your
> last mile provider. Always use an alias service or get yourself a domain
> and host it on your own box.

Never really looked into that alias service thing. And since hosting your
own stuff while hooked up to the cable is a no-no, I've never looked into
the other either.

> I had cable before and now I am on ADSL, I run my own email server on my
> OSX box and even though I occassionally get a different IP address, I
> signed up with a service called DynDNS (www.dyndns.org) who run a
> dynamic DNS service and always point to whatever your IP address is
> using a small client on your machine that notifies their servers in the
> event that the IP address changes. This is a free service, but if you
> want your own domain, then you can make a one time donation of 30 USD,
> which is very reasonable.
>
> If you are on cable or xDSL this is highly recommendable, you run your
> own domain and you can take it with you whatever happens, nobody will
> ever notice if you change providers whatever the reason.

Thanks. Sounds like good advice.

> rgds
> BK

- Eric.