Re: [NTLK] Anybody going wireless?

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 16:02:36 EST

On Thursday, November 29, 2001, at 04:31 , Oliver Brose wrote:

>> Have you asked Noguchi-san about this ? He may be able to give you a
>> few
>> clues.
>
> Not yet. Is he on the list?

Don't know, but you should be able to send him an email through his site
"Driver Labo", that's the site where the Wavelan driver is posted.

His English seems a bit rough though, so if you need any Japanese
speaking intermediary, just contact me by email. I would have contacted
him myself already, but I haven;t got any wireless PCMCIA card, so it
wouldn't have made much sense.

> I would not want to have any portable without it anymore.
> It adds a whole new quality to the way I use my computer and how I
> organize
> my time.
> Okay, sometimes it just means that I can fool around online during the
> commercial breaks, but on monday, I managed to do a full research for
> one of
> my lectures, two texts, imported one via cilpboard-pasting, made a
> NewtonBook of the other and pumped it into the Newton, all within the
> five
> minutes between Sabrina and the Simpsons while having a snack on the
> carpet
> (all new, and the cat still respects it...).

:-) You would have liked the company I was running last year in
Australia. Started a joint venture with an Aussie copany and the new
company was placed right inside their offices. We had all Macs, they had
all Wintels and lots of trouble with the cabling, not just network but
telephone and electricity too. This gave me a perfect excuse to base the
JV's LAN entirely on WiFi, no cabling whatsoever, not even for the
desktops.

We placed one Airport at the front window (Office block - second floor -
main business centre) and one at the back window. There was a shortage
of meeting rooms, so we had to visit one of two cafes, one across the
road in the front of the building and another one across the road at the
back of the building. In either cafe we were still on the LAN. It was
great fun.

I also remember when there was a big gathering and all the management
folks pulled out their Palms to exchange telephone numbers and email
addresses. Somebody then asked me if I wasn't into gadgetry because I
was the notable exception not to have a Palm. I said, "Oh, I got a
Newton back home in Tokyo, I will have to bring it next time." Then
somebody of the managers said, "I knew you would have a Newton - coudn't
have been anything else" :-) Yup! I took this as a compliment of
course ;-)

If I could only have had my Newton on the WLAN back then, wow, that
would have made my day ...

rgds
BK