Re: [NTLK] More questions regarding built-in dictionary / anybody

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 17:00:14 EST

> Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 20:30:34 +0100
> From: Paul Guyot <pguyot_at_kallisys.net>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] More questions regarding built-in dictionary / anybody
>
>>Some days ago Paul said (if I understood him properly) that it is entirely
>>possible to find the dictionary-pkg in the Newt, export it and install it on
>>a "foreign" MP, which could then use both dicts at the same time.
>
> Actually, there is no dictionary package in the Newton. Instead,
> there are several enumerated dictionaries which you can turn into
> packages (I described the format of these).

That was using this Software called "Hammer", right?
I gave it a (very) quick Google and searched on Versiontracker.com, but
didn't find much, except something for HTML...

> I don't know if you can export non enumerated dictionaries (i.e. for
> dates/numbers/phones).

I would just need one working with Notes, the rest may stay German. ;)

>>Is anybody in the possession of an *English* 2.1 unit willing and able to do
>>so?
>
> Please note that nobody has ever done this before, AFAIK.

The nice thing about this community, even with a "dead" device we go where
nobody ever expected us to go :)
Okay, I can easily say that, only beeing the "consumer", but I'd gladly try
it myself if US machines were not so very rare here...
I also guess that this would be of great value for the whole of the European
community, especially...

>>I asked myself how extensive the US dict.
>
> The main enumerated dictionary in the MP2x00 US has 80 K words.

(Ha, that's less than I expected!)
... if it requires only such little space.

Regards,

Oliver :)

--
How can we take such a risk? The answer is simple: we have zero journalistic
integrity.