Re: [NTLK] did the Xray kill my MP2100?

From: Mark Rollins (mark_at_mrollins.com)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2001 - 09:36:38 EST

Subject: Re: [NTLK] did the Xray kill my MP2100?
From: Skrastins <timskrastins_at_peoplepc.com>

I wrote a story around 1995, and repeated it a few years ago, on usenet.
Basically, I had a memory card fried by an airport security machine. It
worked on the way to the airport, in the van I was in.

Of course, I asked the security guy (this was Logan, so you can guess
the IQ of the screener) to hand inspect the OMP and the case (which
contained the extra memory cards. To my horror he put the case with the
PCMCIA memory cards thru the scanner. I tested them right there with his
supervisor present, and one was damamged and could not be formatted.

After the occurrence, as part of a claim attempt, I contacted (as
directed by the non-technical A-hole at the security Co. HQ) the scanner
manufacturer. They stated that the magnets in the motors that drive the
conveyor belts (wherein the danger lies) had been tested with laptops
with no problems. When I mentioned the flash memory card, the person
conceded that there COULD be a potential for damage. To Apple's credit
they replaced the card.

So the answer is yes, possibly.

--

Mark Rollins, CIH, CSP mark_at_mrollins.com www.mrollins.com