Re: [NTLK] More on Apple wont fix it!

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 04:38:34 EST

On Friday, November 30, 2001, at 03:16 , Loren Finkelstein wrote:

> Here's another update on Apple's lack of support.
>
> Now they are claiming that, not only is my Newton beyond economical
> repair,
> but every single component is broken, and it is non-functional.
>
> I admit that it was pretty banged up when I sent it in, but it
> absolutely
> worked. I thought they would fix it (or replace it) even if it was
> completely dead, so I had no reason to claim it was working before hand.
>
> But it was.
>
> And now it's not.

Assuming for a moment that indeed the Newton didn't work when it arrived
at Apple ...

Well, in that case, it could only have been the shipping company who
mistreated the package such that it gave the Newton the rest and thereby
the responsibility lies with them.

I hope you sent it registered or insured, because now, the shipping
company will have to pick up the bill for a replacement or at least a
large percentage of it.

Similar thing happened to me lately. I had a PowerBook 2400c with a bad
attitude, it wouldn't boot if it was hot. So after you used it for 30
minutes or so, if it crashed or you wanted to reboot for whatever other
reason, you had to put the thing into the fridge for 5 or 10 minutes.

I put it up for auction, explaining the condition and sold it. I shipped
it insured to make sure it wouldn't get lost but when it arrived it
didn't boot anymore at all. The post office collected it and checked it
out and now they sent it in to Apple for repair and they pay. I am kind
of lucky and unlucky at the same time, because the guy who I sold it to
didn;t want to wait for it to be fixed so I sent him his money back and
we cancelled the deal, but I will get the PowerBook back fully
functional without the attitude and so I can sell it for a higher price
then.

So, if I was you I would get it in writing from Apple that the thing
didn't work when it arrived, Then get on the phone with the shipping
company and make a claim.

Good luck

rgds
BK