Re: [NTLK] WARNING: NTK no longer runs under MacOS X 10.1

From: Bill Davis (newton_at_ecity.net)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 01:28:36 EDT

>I'm curious, how do you run X 10.1 and 9.2.1 on the same system? Do you
>have a 'dual boot' feature, or can 9 run within X?

You can do both.

Most old apps run fine and transparently under X, inside a copy of OS 9.x
run inside OS X as just another app. (No, it's not an emulator, really,
as it's not simulating a processor; it runs at full speed.)

You can "carbonize" apps, so that they run fine (same binary code) in
both OS 9 and OS X, too!

Or you can use the Startup control panel to switch between booting OS X
and OS 9 if you have a stubborn or badly written app you need to run
under 9.x.

Apple managed to make the switch to a totally different process almost
completely transparent to the user in the early 90's. Now OS X is
trying to be the same thing, and succeeding pretty well, with most of the
kinks worked out now the that "real" (i.e. ".1") release of OS X is out.
Or so I hear. It hasn't made it to the wilds of Iowa yet. Our local
CompUSA Apple employee has my name on his list for free copy when the
CD's arrive.

 - Bill