Re: [NTLK] Airplanes & carry ons

From: Bill Davis (newton_at_ecity.net)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 01:21:41 EDT

>Just travelled Dulles -> Phoenix -> San Diego -> Dulles with my MP2100 plus
>every possible electronic gizmo in my carry-on (cabling, cards, laser
>pointers, power adaptors, GPS, etc. etc.) to my absolute dismay only two of
>the checks wanted another look. One for a chemical sniffer and the other for
>a second pass through the x-ray. I did see the Air Canada co-pilot in front
>of me have his nail clippers confiscated...
>
>Tomorrow I go Dulles -> Miami -> Rio so we'll see. In general, I do not
>hesitate to travel w/ the Newt, since bootup loses no time.
>
>Paul F.

So they ARE allowing carry-on luggage, eh? Thanks, Paul! Still, I'll
check with the airlines, especially the day of or before the flight, to
be sure.

And since you're in D.C., one would THINK they would be more paranoid
there, after all...

Bummer about the checkpoints. You'd think with ALL the bad press that
the security checkpoints are getting that they'd have cracked down a lot
harder. There was something in the Des Moines Register today about
security at our local airport not being too hot. Your tax dollars at
work....

Of course, the governors do seem to be calling out the National Guard and
placing a lot of 'em at airports, but frankly (no offense meant to
Guardsmen here, I'm sure they're doing a good job) I don't think that's
the sort of thing we need. Might make the passengers feel safer, but I
doubt seriously it'll help find the nasties. Unless they're receiving
training we haven't heard about.

 - Bill