Re: [NTLK] [ANN] NewtonTalk Users' Map (ALPHA)

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 13:10:25 EDT

I was playing around with the map and the "poor man's
coordinate" system and couldn't get anywhere near my
house.
So, I took a look at the PERL query of just some
random place:
http://www.newtontalk.net/cgi-bin/newtmap/submission.pl?lon=38.03028000&lat=-120.41444000&location=COLUMBIA&country=USA

and substituted my actual lat and long to my exact
house location (I used Microsoft's Streets and
Trips...it gave me exact coordinates) and just
replaced the lat and lon variables in the URL above
and even entered my location (Ed's house) in the
location variable.

Using this method, you can enter ANY location you
want!

Now what would be really cool is an image map with
mouse-overs that is linked to a database that will
recall everybody's lat&lon and name when hovered over!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- John Johnson <kamikazebear_at_excite.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Aug 2001 14:52:12 -0400 (EDT),
> newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:
>

> > By popular demand, the NewtonTalk Users' Map is
> now up. You can submit
> > your location by visiting
> http://www.newtontalk.net/map/ and following
> the
> > easy-to-understand(?) instructions. No purchase
> necessary, void where
> > prohibited, use at your own risk, do not ingest
> unless under the advice
> of
> > a physician.
>
> I just tried to get in but was interrupted by a
> (-998) error from the server
> (or was it the browser software?).
> Thanks for the "do not ingest" because I think I
> swallowed the thing
> sideways... ouch!
> ^ ^
> @ " @
> {---}
> John J.
> >
> > --
> > Victor Rehorst - victor_at_newtontalk.net -
> chuma_at_chuma.org
> > NewtonTalk list administrator -
> http://www.newtontalk.net
> > Will help you with your list problems - as long
> as you're nice.

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...