Re: [NTLK] various eMate hardware questions

From: Jeroen Goulooze (jeroengoulooze_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 04:32:05 EDT

There is a small hole in it, because it got stuck in the spring that holds
the lid in place when the emate is opened.

I can do two things: replace it with the original: it is a flatcable made
from thin plastic with the wires 'painted' on it. It can not be soldered. It
has a peculiar shape, no one uses a cable just like it. (and one needs a
cable shaped like that to get it from the motherboard to the lid and connect
it to the screen)

Or i can try to repair the holes with a special paint and a piece of plastic
glued to it. Then the cable loses its flexability, and I'm not sure if it
will work.

I try to find another cable, but it can not be ordered from apple or ADT.
ADT does the repair and the starting fee is 94 Brittish Pounds. I can almost
buy a new emate from machouse in holland for it.

Jeroen Goulooze

----Original Message Follows----

> BUT: I am also interested in a broken emate for the use of the flat cable
> that goes from the motherboard to the screen (mine has two holes in it
> because it got stuck in the spring from the lid).
Jeroen,
couldn't you repair it somehow? I've a small collection (3) of different
printed ribbon cables and I've successfully managed to repair a broken one,
with fairly thick copper layer I've to admit. Or couldn't you cut it into
halfes and solder thin stranded wires to it? Or try even harder and replace
the whole thing with standard wires?

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing