Re: [NTLK] FS: Emate parts

From: Michael_Guzzo/Harmac_at_harmac.com
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 16:40:06 EDT

Doing it is easy - (I design and mold plastic medical components).

First you have to draw up the plans for the cases - shape, size, identify
critical dimensions, etc.
Creating a CAD model using SolidWorks or MechDsktop is a better idea
because most mold makers like to work with the CAD solids for creating
their tool sets.

Assuming you have proper prints you could make some low volume aluminum
molds (single cavity) for about $10 to $20M each, depending on the tool
complexity. A simple open-close mold is less epxensive of course, but a
complicated mold with slides and pulls is more expensive. You may be able
to make a "family" mold to mold more than one part in a single shot.

The material is high impact polycarbonate which will run anywhere from
$1.20 to $3 per pound depending on the grade. The colorants are usually
more expensive, about $12 to $20 per pound but you usually mix in a 50:1
ratio. I'd bet the translucent colorant are closer to $30 per pound.

Then you have to contract time on a mold machine. I don't know the exact
dimensions of the emate but I think you would need about 100 ton machine
for a single cavity mold, or a 300 ton or larger if you wanted to shoot the
case and cover at the same time. But since molds never run correctly the
first time, it would take about 8 to 16 hours to set up and debug the
process to get good parts. Then you have to inspect, check for fit, modify
the mold, repeat until correct.

If you wanted to go the low-tech route you could make a clay or urethane
mold and create parts using silicone resin, or send your CAD model to a
rapid prototype shop and have parts made from SLA or Duraform or something
like that. SLA is expensive and not too durable, it usually used for
prototyping and is not rugged enough for everyday use.

--
Michael Guzzo
http://home.att.net/~michael.guzzo/newton/newton.html

--original message -- Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 12:09:03 EDT From: UnravelUI_at_aol.com Subject: Re: [NTLK] FS: Emate parts

Hmmmmm. You know, this gets me thinking. Does anyone have any knowledge of plastic fabrication? Because if he has a spare eMate case... how difficult (or expensive) would it be to completely dismantle the case, make molds, and create new eMate colors?

Probably nigh-near impossible, but it's a cool thought, no?

-David