Re: [NTLK] [OT] airports and Newts

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Sat Oct 06 2001 - 12:13:29 EDT

>On 10/6/01 @ 9:29 PM, Guy MITTAUX wrote:
>
>Actually, i do not agree with that.
>If you look at statistic, 86 % of crash are due to a bad action from pilot.

Also, you must remember when it comes to accident boards, both military
and civilian, when in doubt blame it on the pilot sometimes becomes the
easy solution.

Proving a mechanical/electrical problems after the fact can be very
difficult at times.

Now I am not saying that we pilots don't make mistakes. We do. However,
there are times when the pilot gets the blame for something well out of
their control. Usually in the reports it comes in the form of
contributing factors.

>The pilot is treated like a heroe because he could
>flight 18 minutes with no engines and hard landed
>the plane.
>
>A leak in an engine pipe let the plane loose all the
>kerosene.
>
>The pilot should have isolated the engine with the
>leak and finish with one engine.
>
>Instead of that, as one tank was emptiing faster, he
>connect the balance of kero and bring the safe tank
>to loose kero.

It is easy to be an armchair quarterback.

Were you there? If not, you may not have all the facts.

>But what was learn during training ?
>When one tank is lees heavy, you just balance kero by
>bypass pipe between the tank.

Uh, this is incorrect as any knowledgable pilot will tell you.

Pilots continuously cross check their systems. This includes many
aspects of which one in fuel. Level off checks are completed to monitor
systems -- especially fuel flow.

You don't just automatically transfer fuel from one tank to another.

Let's not get carried away here!

That is like blaming Paul Guyot for all your PCMCIA card problems because
he is writing an ATA driver. Never mind that you don't have it installed
on your Newt!

BTW, jet fuel, while similar, is not kerosene.

Sushi