Re: [NTLK] small dashboard trick

From: John Johnson (kamikazebear_at_excite.com)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 19:27:47 EDT

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 18:43:24 +0200, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> if you perform a "restore" after wiping the flash, the dashboard
"launcher
> box" might stop working. (it acts like the apps assigned were gone)
>
> instead of the tedious re-assigning of applications, you can tap
"validate",
> and do a quick re-assign of those apps that need a new path. this will
save
> you time!
>
> ------------
>
> BTW: is there a good dashboard script page somewhere? maybe we should set
up
> one? i know one of dashboards main advantages is the scripting, but i
> personally dont have one single script that i use :(
No worries!
Just look at the script that are already "out there" and get
a feel of what the basic functions work whether getting pen-input,
reading from the keyboard (if any!), writing to the screen, serial
or IRDA or getting systems variables (what is the time, how much
memory, &c.) and just play around just for seeing certain things
work, even as basic as the "Hello, World!", message.
Maybe later you will, once you are more confident, actually get
a bit more goal oriented about it but you might want to work
the other way around by taking any idea about something you might
like some software to accomplish and break it into smaller units
on a big sheet of paper,then link those smaller sections by arrows
suggesting how the mini-sections are linked and under what conditions
then get it out in human-language-which-looks-like-code such
as:
show menu
if option is A
    do display-free-memory
if option is B
    do open-picture
&c. then, and only once the structure has been clarified, all that may be
needed is changing a few words or a bit of syntax here and there...
Either way, let your *imagination* be your guide!!

> im ready to offer time, server space and some efforts in order to make
this
> page available to the newton community, if there is no such page yet. i
> think i will start the making of this "dashboard user group" in a couple
of
> days if i wont get any positive results.
There should be a such a site just to see what works, see what
other people have tried, and.., after all.., some of the best code
is recycled!
The sooner this site is up the better! <)8-)