Re: [NTLK] don't want to give up my Newton

From: John M. Powell (iwillbefreedotcom_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 16:05:30 EDT

> > 1. Is there a current software package for installing packages
> on my newton
> > that works without having to set the date back to Oct.1997? I still only
> > have the beta version of the newton connection utilities.
>
> Yes, the full Newton Connection Utilities package that you can
> find on UNNA
> <http://www.unna.org/>. Do a search and you should find it.

XPort also works well, but ever since I got the DIL Tester connected,
that's all I use for installs. Ethernet installs! See the 'tempel'
link below.

> > 2. Is there a current version of synchronizing software for
> > Outlook 2000 and my Newton 2100?
> I don't know. I know there were a few solutions for other versions of
> Outlook, but I don't know for the 2000 version.

I'm on Outlook2000. I've tried both Lookout and Outlink. Names synced
pretty well, although the sync process kept wanting to insert blank
pagers on my Newt (the pager link was there, but no # - had to hard
edit the soup to get rid). I'm may do some experimenting here soon
using the Newt as my primary and just dump over to O2k. I can access
much more info, better priority management, and more control over
repeating todo's with the Newton over O2k - which of course makes
syncing a little difficult. I tried using O2k for a while but just
didn't like how it handles things compared to my MP2.1k.

> > 3. What about replacement software for NCU, NBU etc.?
>
> Thomas Tempelmann did release a data browser that runs on Mac and PC,
> supports Ethernet connections on Mac *and* PC (as opposed to NCU/NBU that
> support only the Mac) and also supports IrDA connections on the Mac only.
> That means you could use any IrDA compliant Macintosh (like most recent
> PowerBooks) and connect to your MP2x00 or eMate without any cable! This
> application lets you browse the data on your Newton, transfer
> those data on
> your desktop, install packages and does a few other things. The only major
> thing it doesn't do is synchronization. Check
> <http://www.tempel.org/newton/>.

John