[NTLK] [ANN] Newted Community Redesign Launched

From: Grant [Squeezable] Hutchinson (grant_at_splorp.com)
Date: Fri Oct 12 2001 - 16:44:11 EDT

The Newted Community has a fresh coat of paint.

     http://newted.dyndns.org/

I finally bit the bullet and launched the new design for the Newted
Community site. All pages on the site, with the exception of the message
boards (which have their own templating system and are a herd of
ill-tempered beasts unto themselves...), have been rebuilt from scratch
using standards-compliant HTML and CSS (Cascading Style Sheets).

What this means to you, the Newted Community visitor, is a much cleaner
looking and faster loading user experience. Of course, because I used
style sheets, the site will look much better in a browser that supports
web standards such as Internet Explorer 5 and Netscape 6. However,
because of the flexibility provided by using style sheets to separate the
contents of this site from the visual formatting, the whole thing is
accessible by any browser or internet access device - including a Newton.

     http://www.webstandards.org/edu_faq.html

And because the entire site can now be viewed in any type of browser, the
need for separate low bandwidth pages has been eliminated. Not that they
were getting updated on a regular basis anyway.

Other changes include the use of Blogger to maintain the home page news
section, the updating of the support and membership information,
combining all previously published reviews and articles into the infamous
SoupBox section, and streamlining the payment system for new founders
memberships.

     http://newted.dyndns.org/support/
     http://newted.dyndns.org/membership/
     http://newted.dyndns.org/soupbox/

As with any full-scale revamp, there are bound to be things that have
been missed. If you spot any problems, please let me know. Your comments
are always appreciated.

g.

Grant Hutchinson Interface Considerations & Toys

Now fortified with daily ramblings. http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain. http://www.splorp.com/newton/