Re: [NTLK] Printing via Ethernet ?

From: David Arnold (arnold_at_dstc.monash.edu.au)
Date: Sat Oct 13 2001 - 07:04:15 EDT

-->"Andy" == Andy Wells <andywells_at_hotkey.net.au> writes:

  Andy> Anyway what I'd like to be able to do is print from my eMate
  Andy> to my networked HP Laserjet 4 plus. Is this possible ?

probably.

assuming the LJ4+ supports EtherTalk, you just need to set your
AppleTalk preferences to use EtherTalk, not LocalTalk, and then it
should just pop up in the "Other Network Printer" list when printing.

  Andy> I'm running Samba for the house win9x machines, so potentially
  Andy> I could connect to a box run Soft Print Pack as normal and
  Andy> print thru one of the wintel boxes......but that sort of
  Andy> defeats the purpose :-|

if the printer is connected to the RedHat box (or doesn't do native
EtherTalk), you can export it for Mac/Newt using a thing called
netatalk on Linux.

howto here:

   http://www.anders.com/projects/netatalk/

good luck ...