[NTLK] Printing via Ethernet ?

From: Andy Wells (andywells_at_hotkey.net.au)
Date: Sat Oct 13 2001 - 06:31:04 EDT

G'day Green Machine

Ok so I have just bought, installed and tested a 3Com 589D-TP card, thanks
for the instruction page Victor.
(Tested by firing up Nethopper and then after it had initialized the card
pinged back towards IP address assigned to Newton from server)

Hey there's a thought .........anyway I can ping from my eMate ?

I went crazy last weekend and cabled every room in the house back to a
hub/Redhat 7.1 box, man did the wife go nuts......kids think it's pretty
cool though.....nice one Dad :-)
Anyway what I'd like to be able to do is print from my eMate to my networked
HP Laserjet 4 plus.
Is this possible ? Anybody else tried this ?
( among other things that I'm working on in my spare time.......after 11pm
weekdays
.......hehe Squid and IP Masq .......Newton surfing woohoo ! )

I believe, but I hope I'm wrong, that the eMate can only print thru serial,
Irda, or Appletalk(?)........
............ been a long time since I rode a Mac ( Classic with OS 7...I
think ?) :-o

I'm running Samba for the house win9x machines, so potentially I could
connect to a box run Soft Print Pack as normal and print thru one of the
wintel boxes......but that sort of defeats the purpose :-|

Any suggestions, advice, ( or howls of laughter )
gratefully accepted

Andy

Andy Wells
Systems Administration