Re: [NTLK] NUGWash

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 02:19:44 EDT

It was great to finally put faces to those I had been
talking to these many years! Not since the last
Washington Pie meeting I attented back in 1995 had I
seen so many Newtons in one place! Granted, there were
only 4 of us, but it seems I was overshadowed in the
gadget arena...(next time..I'm coming fully equipped!)
I also felt like a third shoe being the only one
without a Mac laptop!(hey, I can always bring my
Dell!)
We were introduced to several robots by Sean
Luke...Can't wait for when he creates a Newton
controled robot!
Finishing off the last of the pizza, Sean gave us a
short introduction on the finer points of C++, Java
and WABA.
I tried to give Laurent a demo of the Dragon demo
application along with the dragon hack, but there were
others (Sean and Zac) in the room who were making too
much noise. I didn't have the gain set correctly for
noisy places. It locked up my Newt twice and it
incorrectly recognized a number I spoke...I think
there was too much distortion from the gain. After I
got home, I was able to get it to recognize my numbers
every time! BTW, these packages are available for
direct download from my Newton site. Browse to it
using your Newton, tap an icon and it will
automatically install on your newt. If you have
recommendations, let me know.
(http://newton.tek-ed.com)
Laurent and Sean then proceeded to converse in some
strange language (what was that? Object "C"? and
Zachary and I talked shop...seems were both in similar
businesses....After exchanging owner cards with
Laurent, Zachary and Sean, Sean proceeded to supply us
with his latest WABA implementation on the Newt. Seems
that Laurent had a weird speed problem after WABA was
beamed to his Newt...a quick reset fixed that, but it
was weird none the less. We were then regaled with
facts on the raw speed of the Newt as compared to the
Palm, based off of WABA implementation. Seems that the
Newt MP2k is over 100 times faster than the
Palm...yeah, like who amoungst us didn't already know
that little fact!
As Zachary went off to the visitor's parking, it was a
short walk to Sean's "getto mobile" and Laurent and I
got rides to our respective vehicles...
I wish I had known about Laurent's lost key thing...I
could have helped...I'm quite the accomplished lock
pick as well!(you know you've got it when you can open
your car and start it up and you never take your keys
out of your pocket...sure, it took me almost 15
minutes total, but when you think about it...that's
kinda scarey!)
I look forward to the next meeting when we can get
more people to attend...(I wonder how much of a charge
my AT&T EO has left...)
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Laurent Daudelin <nemesys_at_cox.rr.com> wrote:

> on 13/10/01 03:08, Seth Vidal at
> skvidal_at_phy.duke.edu wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> > when is ths NUGwash meeting and where? I couldn't
> find the info on it and
> > I might be in the area depending on when/where it
> is exactly.
>
> Seth,
>
> That was yesterday night, at GMU, courtesy of Sean
> Luke. We were glad to
> receive Zachery Bir visiting us from Richmond, which
> is over 1:45 hour
> drive! Glad to see you, Zac!
>
> I also had the privilege to meet the unique Tech Ed,
> in person! A very nice
> one, at that. I was able to see his brand new,
> returned 2100!
>
> Finally, but not the least, was Sean Luke, Mr. Waba.
> He gave me a brief
> introduction to the deep internal working of Waba,
> from a programming point
> of view. Ed and Zac were talking together at that
> point ;-)
<snip>

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...