Re: [NTLK] Newton freezes when disconnecting from internet

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 10:34:41 EDT

on 10/15/01 10:23 PM, Rodney Tamblyn at rodney_at_stonebow.otago.ac.nz wrote:

> My N2K freezes when disconnecting from Ethernet. Setup is Farallon networking
> + 3com driver + NIE + 3C589D card. When I use the internet the newton
> connects fine, I can view a web page or send an email, however when the newton
> throws up the "disconnecting from the internet" progress box, it freezes about
> 1/3 of the way through disconnecting. The ethernet light stays on. Only
> option is to reset.
> Interestingly, printing works fine.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions?

Easy: don't disconnect from the Internet!!!

Seriously, there is no relation between printing and surfing the web. Did
you quit any application that used the Internet before disconnecting?

-Laurent.

brute force adj.: Describes a primitive programming style, one in which the
programmer relies on the computer's processing power instead of using his or
her own intelligence to simplify the problem, often ignoring problems of
scale and applying naive methods suited to small problems directly to large
ones. The term can also be used in reference to programming style:
brute-force programs are written in a heavyhanded, tedious way, full of
repetition and devoid of any elegance or useful abstraction (see also brute
force and ignorance).