Re: [NTLK] VNC preview

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 12:15:08 EDT

>>On 17-10-2001 @ 4:26, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>>
>>Gosh, thanks for reminding me that the Palm
>>screen was so *TINY*! Did I say tiny?
>>
>>Have a look at the email application. That
>>ought to be a joke!
>>
>On 10/18/01 @ 12:23, Robert Benschop wrote:
>
>I thought the same thing ;-)
>
>Remember, in your mind you tend to add the
>Graffiti space to the screen, but of course
>it isn't even part of it ! BTW,, wasn't there
>a Palm device that had a software Graffiti
>space, so in case you wouldn't need it you
>can at least use it for other stuff (like VNC)

Cool stuff on the VNC! :-)

Yes the Palm screen real estate (160 x 160) is tiny for sure! :-(

However, the Email program is very well done -- at least the Multimail
one. I used it for two years while extensively traveling. Found it very
useful to check multiple accounts via dial up ISPs, despite the small
screen.

One reason, is that the user interface is very good.

While Multimail takes up very little screen real estate on the top and
bottom while composing a message, you still have to contend with the 160
pixel wide screen. That makes for many columnized messages. Kind of
like reading a continuous newspaper. In this regard, the Newt is a
million times better. However, newer Palm devices are getting bigger
screens so this is changing.

One area that the Palm shines way above the Newt IMHO, is accessing phone
numbers when traveling around the world. The Newt is USA centric and
doesn't seem to lend itself to some countries phone methodology -- the
Newt tries to hard to help you when you don't need or want it.

The Palm on the other hand, seems to handle this much better since it
does nothing to assist you. You can enter things to work exactly like
you want it.

Concerning the collapsible Graffiti space, that would be the Handera 330.
 It has a 240 x 320 screen that can be rotated. In both positions the
Graffiti area can be collapsed.

The Handera 330 is a very nice device. It can use Compact Flash memory,
as well as the IBM 1GB Microdrives. Also it has another slot for SD
memory.

Reference wireless communication, there are various services available in
Japan that use a card the size of a Compact Flash memory card. A tiny
little antenna sticks out is all.

The battery system is very similar to the Newt. You can use rechargeable
or replaceable batteries. Very convenient just like the Newt.

The size of the Handera 330 is the same at the Palm III, and can use all
the Palm III peripherals such as modems, keyboards, cradles, GPS, etc.

Sometimes I just wonder where the Newt would be had they not stopped
development. Oh well, back to reality.

BTW, if you are in the mood to impress your Palm toting friends, go out
at night to look at the stars. Be sure to take your Newt along to assist
you. At night with the back light on, the Green machine is second to
none -- especially when you can see where you are writing.

The Palm devices, since most do not have a backlit Graffiti area and
terrible screen illumination methods pale by comparison. In this area,
the Compaq iPaq is also very nice.

Anyhow, the Newt screen is awesome at night. It really makes a Palm
display (sans the Handera 330) look pretty wimpy! :-o

Sushi