Re: [NTLK] How "international" is Newton OS?

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2001 - 06:35:06 EDT

on 20-10-2001 3:17, Chris Searles at csearles_at_netcologne.de wrote:

> Can the ability to recognize words in another language be extended, i.e. are
> there any add-ons to the OS to expand its dictionary capabilities in another
> language?

Yes, if you have a German dictionary or word list you can contact Paul Guyot
and he'll make an Newton Package out of it.

I'm quoting a posting he made to this list recently that will explain some:

----------------

>Well, you should send an email to Paul and ask him what you would like to
>add. <mailto:pguyot_at_kallisys.net>.

In fact, you can use DictMgr. This software is full of bugs but has
been explicitly designed for that purpose (having more than 2000
words).
You can also read the documentation about dictionaries in the bowels
project (on my website: http://www.kallisys.com/newton/bowels/) and
build the dictionary yourself.
Or, the last option, you can send me a list of words encoded in
MacRoman format with Macintosh endlines. In that case, please note
that:
a/ building a dictionary locks my Newton and the mac for a long time
(depending on the size of the word list), and it's not fully
automatic (i.e. I can't run the thing and then leave it and come back
to get the full package). Therefore I'm not likely to make it
immediatly.
b/ once I have the word list, it's useless if not counter-productive
to spam me every three days asking the status of the thing. I won't
respond to such mails. I'll build the dictionary when I'll consider
that I have nothing better to do. Most dictionaries are only used by
a couple of users. I have nothing against that and I'm pleased to
build dictionaries, but I'm also bugged by other users asking for
this or that software and therefore I have to use some kind of
priority algorithm in my to-do list. Spamming me about a to-do item
has a definitive bad effect on the priority of this to-do item
(considering especially that (i) I'm not likely to use e.g. a
Brazilian dictionary myself and (ii) I do that for free and I have
other more exciting activities in my life than building dictionaries).

I use my US Newt all of the time in mostly English and Dutch but also some
French (and yes, even some German ;-) and worked for me like a charm,
haven't seen any of the DictMngr bugs, so you'll have to ask Paul about this
too.

Robert Benschop