Re: [NTLK] Misc. ramblings...

From: Mark Rollins (mark_at_mrollins.com)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 10:09:50 EDT

> Shouldn't Apple market to Windows users? Ohhhh no, let's not entice
>95% of the market to Apple products. Does anyone really believe someone

Let's not fall victim to those MicroSoft "percent market share"
misconceptions, or outright lies in my opinion. I SERIOUSLY doubt if you
add up all the computers in the word, including servers and those
controlling data warehouses, that Windows is on 95% of these.I really
doubt this due to the preponderence of UNIX variants, Macs, SUN, Amiga
and others.

It just doesn't make sense, unless maybe MicroSoft is only counting
Microsoft corporate licensees. This would make sense, as my employer's a
Windows licensee, but graphics/communication is Macs, e-commerce/Web
server is Sun/Netscape (we need it to work and be less prone to
hacking), and really creative, demanding people (e.g. - me) use a Mac.
We're probably 95% Mac.

The "home and school" market are the only ones likely to buy such a
device (somehow I can't see our CEO thinking "I wish the iPod worked
with WindowsXP (maybe he'll wish ANYTHING works with WindowsXP), so I
could listen to some 'phat' rap tunes" ). I think Apple is more like
20-25% of the home, and maybe 30-40% of the education market.

And given the lack of FireWire support on most PCs, all Apple's missing
is perhaps another 2-7% of the home/school market share. Maybe in a
decade or so when FireWire comes on all PCs (don't laugh, a LOT of Intel
boxes still don't come with EtherNet built in!!) Apple will release
iTunes for the Windows market.

About the same time that BMW releases an aerodynamics add-on styling
package for the Chevy Cavalier!

--

Mark Rollins, CIH, CSP mark_at_mrollins.com www.mrollins.com