Re: [NTLK] Any update on that device?

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 12:02:52 EDT

> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Any update on that device?
> Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 23:17:21 -0500
> From: Bill Davis <newton_at_ecity.net>
>

>> Even though music is
>>my profession, I don't see why Steve Jobs is headed in this direction.
>>Is a portable music player THAT big a market? To me this just seems like
>>a toy SJ wanted to create for himself.
>>
>>Just my 2 cents,
>>Way
>
> So, you missed the whole "digital hub" initiative at Apple, right?
>
> - Bill

Bill, THANKS, finally, FINALLY someone notices what it's all about.
The german mac-groups are mostly as bitter as some people here, they fail to
see the big picture.
What do you think, should Steve have come out, telling the world:
"Remember our idea, the digital-hub-strategy?
Well today, we're proud to present you one of its core-elements, a quick and
easy mass-storage of multiple uses, and hey, it also plays music."

No way! Digital-Hub is only starting, the iPod is the first device, but more
will follow. You can't sell the thing as the thing it truely is!
I see DV-Cams and photocams, DVD-players with HD recording, telephones and
so on - all small and light, with high standing times and at a potentially
lower cost -> -> -> because the mass-storage is taken out, it's in the iPod!

This thing has great potential, way beyond digital audio.

I'm buying an iBook the next days, but count me in for an iPod as well, if
the sound is good.

Currently, I'm with MiniDisc, but at 100 discs, it gets less and less
comfortable. I just loose track of them, many are not labeled or have
text-info on them. They tend to get lost for weeks before I retrieve them
from under the car-seat.
The system is slow (real time only) and limited (80mins in good quality).
It's advantage was sound-quality.
Now, if the iPod does produce good sound-quality, why shouldn't I change to
a device that can have 8 uncompressed albums, or more then 20 at
MiniDisc-level?

Regards,

Oliver :)

--